Monday, September 5, 2011

Summer Adventures

So you probably noticed that the last time I wrote was earlier this summer, and you might have wondered if I dropped off the face of the earth. While I can assure you that was not the case, I did drop off the radar for three months. Why??? I was given the wonderful opportunity to be a working student with my dressage instructor; Michael Kierkegaard. I had an incredible time working for both him, and his family, and really grew in my riding. Being able to work for the Kierkegarrd's was a very gratifying and inspiring experience.

My riding was going fantastically. I participated in Bucks County in June, and finished in third. I was "half" qualified to go to the American Eventing Championships, in September. At Bucks I also received my lowest dressage score ever: 39.6! I know when looking at things overall I still needed work, but it was showing all the time I had put in. We were gearing up to leave for Pony Club Championships in Kentucky when disaster struck.

This is probably were you could start the theme song from Jaws. It was one week before we left for Kentucky, and I had just finished my last conditioning that morning. Abbey (my sister) came and we went for a trail ride, to stretch out the horse's legs. Unfortunately Monte got more than he bargained for. While walking on a short stretch of pavement, we passed by a foxhunt's hound kennel. Approximatively 40 hounds came running at us in their pasture. Monte was shocked to say the least. Abbey jumped off, and Monte took off up the road. After running into a cornfield he jumped onto the road where he slid across on his knees. I finally caught up to him, and the horror set in.

Blood was gushing from his knees, and he was shaking from the stress. We were probably only 5 min from the farm - if we could cut through cornfields, and soybeans. So essentially we were stuck. It was at least an hour walk if we went back the way we came, and twenty minutes if we took the road. After calling my mom for help, I waited with my stomach full of knots.

My mom finally arrived, and as she puts it we were helped by an angel. A man working at the next farm over came to help us, and I'm positive we would still be waiting if he hadn't. He helped us bandage Monte up, and we decided to take Monte back using the road route, it was dangerous, but we needed to get him to the vet pronto. My mom called my dad, who brought the horse trailer right away, and we were off to the vet.

The wounds were pretty bad, almost down to the bone on his knee joints. Monte received more antibiotics then you could count, and enough ointments to fill a bath tub. Then started our long recovery back to health. No walking. Stall rest. New bandages. Bute, and antibiotics every night. These are just some of the directions we were given to follow. Kentucky hung in the air, and no one knew if he would be able to go.

I had to go back to my job. It was probably one of the hardest decisions ever. To leave the care of my partner in the hands of a somewhat capable family (mine, no offense!). The only way I could leave him at home was because of my dad. Almost a nurse, he knew what he was looking for, and I wouldn't be able to do anything more. The following week the news came that Monte couldn't go to Kentucky, and our hopes (mine) went down the drain. Monte stayed on stall rest for four weeks. We missed Kentucky, our last qualifying hope for AEC, and with that the actual AEC event.

While all of that is hard to stomach, the best part is that the time wasn't wasted. In those four weeks I rode horse after horse, and worked hard on improving my skills. Monte came back a completely different horse. Maybe it was me, maybe it was him, but my bet goes that it was both of us. We went farther in "two" months then I thought we would go in two years. For that I can't thank Michael enough.

I think everything happens for a reason, and this accident could be a mercy in disguise. I do know a few things for certain. If that gentleman hadn't helped us by the road, my horse might have gotten an infection, and possibly died. If I had gone to Kentucky, Waredaca (qualifier), or even AEC's (which is this week) they wouldn't invite my back because I'd kick all their butts. If the accident hadn't happened, I might never have worked with Monte the way I do now. And I thank everyone for their support, and their help in making the pair of us better (physically, and competitively).

Monte did come back to work with me, and things have been easy going from there on. I had tons of fun at the Kierkegarrds. It didn't matter if we were having a party, or if it was just a normal working day. I can't thank them enough for all they have done for me, and I know I will owe them for a long time to come.

Thank You to everyone who made my summer possible. My friends who had to deal with texts all summer, the Kierkegaards who made me feel completely welcome, and my family, who ran me back and forth, and were supporting me a 100% percent of the time. You guys rock!

So that was what I'm sure will become my very famous summer adventures, either to the world, or maybe just  my family. Be sure to check out the summer adventures page for some awesome pictures!


"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure." 
  --  Bill Cosby

No comments:

Post a Comment